Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Cabo Pulmo trip, part four

It was getting late so we decided to put JH down before we grown-ups had dinner. As we were getting ready for bed, I noticed the namesake of my astrological sign on the table. It was small, maybe two inches long, and nearly transparent.

"A scorpion!" I exclaimed. "What do I do?"

"Kill it," replied Sara. I smashed it with the half-full water bottle and it shattered -- scorpion bits flew several feet across the floor. Although later I found out that Sara and others wanted to inspect the scorpion carcass, I thought it would be a good idea to get the (possibly pokey and venomous) scorpion bits off the floor so I picked them up with a paper towel.

Dinner was excellent. Sara made spanish rice and used tequila to marinate tempe for the vegans and steak for the meat eaters. We convinced Bob to be the grill master and he did a great job cooking the steaks.

After dinner, we sat on a second floor deck above our hut and ate cake and talked. I think we went to bed around 11 pm.

The huts at Cabo Pulmo Resort get their electricity from solar panels mounted on some of their roofs. In Cabo Pulmo, it was so hot that we needed to sleep with the fans pointed directly at us. Because Sara had been in the house most of the day, cooking dinner with the fans on, the batteries had not fully charged when the sun was out. At about 1 in the morning, the battery ran out in our hut and our fans stopped. JH started fussing immediately when it happened. It was uncomfortably hot and we were worried that JH might get heat exhaustion from the extreme temperature and humidity.

Sara went out to find out if the other huts were affected or if the outage only affected us. After a few minutes, she came back and told me that there was power in another hut -- they all had unlocked screen doors and we could get right in. But they didn't have fans there. We'd have to bring the fans from our hut. So we carried JH, the Pack and Play, an extra sheet, our pillows, and our fans over to a different hut. In order to not wake up our friends who were sleeping next door to the new hut, we had to go around the back and carry everything over a three foot high beam. We set up the Pack and Play and the fans, put the sheet over the bedspread, replaced the new hut's pillows the our own, and went to back to sleep with one fan pointed at JH and another pointed at our bed. When we woke up in the morning, we left no trace.


Post a Comment

<< Home