Friday, August 26, 2005

Caffeine

I have been tapering off my coffee intake for the past several days. Yesterday I hit a low of about half a cup total (a quarter of a cup in the morning, a quarter of a cup after noon). I don't know if it was lack of sleep last night, waking up at 3:30 AM this morning to change Boo Boo, boredom, or just plain ol' psychological addiction but I couldn't keep up the virtuousness today. I walked over to Le Boulanger in Cupertino at about 10:30 this morning, ordered a double espresso and a fat-laden breakfast sandwich, sat on the overstuffed chair, and pretended I was in Paris. Oddly enough, the people behind me in the cafe were speaking French.

Whoosh! It was like putting Drano through the pipes of my mind. Three blog posts (the other two are on their way) appeared in my head as I was walking back from the coffee shop. It takes about twenty minutes before I actually start feeling high on caffeine. This delay probably encourages overconsumption of coffee. I intentionally avoid big mugs because I don't think it makes sense to drink a lot of coffee at once. A cup of coffee is five or six ounces. That's a little more than half of a standard mug. If you drink much more than a cup at a time, you're really just applying an irritant to your stomach.

I still think it's a good idea to keep the overall caffeine consumption low (maybe one cup a day total) but these little espresso breaks now and then are a treat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home